Re: Sid and make xconfig problems - collect2: ld terminated with signal 11

Hi,

I've been using sid for quite some time, and today I made an update. I
got the same error compiling my own program. I believe there is a broken
package somewhere, probably binutils. But I'm not sure.

The last update I made before this one was on friday.

I'm looking everywhere for people who have the same problem.
Even, the Hello World program doesn't compile... or actually doesn't link.

cat <<EOF >hello.c
#include <stdio.h>

int main(int argc, char *argv[]) {
        printf("Hello World\n");
         return 0;
}
EOF
gcc -Wall -c hello.c
gcc -Wall -o hello hello.o
collect2: ld terminated with signal 11 [Segmentation fault]

Is there anybody who updates recently and who isn't able to compile this
program?

Thanks.

Danilo Raineri wrote:
Hi, I am a Linux newbie runnning Sid.

Today I tried to make a new kernel package following the excellent
instructions I found at
http://newbiedoc.sourceforge.net/system/kernel-pkg.html

However, when I try make xconfig I get the following error:

: $ make xconfig
: rm -f include/asm
: ( cd include ; ln -sf asm-i386 asm)
: make -C scripts kconfig.tk
: make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/kernel-source-2.4.20/scripts'
: gcc -o tkparse tkparse.o tkcond.o tkgen.o
: collect2: ld terminated with signal 11 [Segmentation fault]
: make[1]: *** [tkparse] Error 1
: make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/kernel-source-2.4.20/scripts'
: make: *** [xconfig] Error 2

I double checked the version numbers in all the required packages and
tried a bit of googling, but I am stuck :/

Is there something important I am missing?
Were the information I provided enough, or completeley useless?
Should I expect problems like this, if running sid, and should I simply
wait and see if the problem get fixed after some week of apt-get upgrading?

I would also appreciate an rtfm-style answer, if you could kindly point me
to the right manuals... :-)