Re: nat port forwarding

* Jeff (jcoppock1@attbi.com) [030413 22:07]:
> Tom Vier, 2003-Apr-13 18:18 -0400:
> > i'm trying to use the script from:
> >
> > http://www.ecst.csuchico.edu/~dranch/LINUX/ipmasq/c-html/forwarders.html
> >
> > but, there's no PREROUTING chain. does 2.4 have one? if so, which kernel
> > config option enables it?
> >
> > thanks for any help.
> AFAIK, the PREROUTING and POSTROUTING tables are included with
> iptables in the 2.4 kernel.  I don't know about ipchains.
> Plus, there are a ton of other options for iptables.

Specifically, I'd think CONFIG_IP_NF_NAT is important as well.  Though
I've never built such a kernel, I'd imagine you could include iptables
without the nat table, and thus not have a prerouting chain (since it's
in the nat table).

to the OP:  maybe you just forgot the '-t nat' option to iptables?  The
PREROUTING chain is part of the nat table.  When you don't specify a -t
option, iptables uses 'filter' as the default table.

good times,