kernel compile

Hi,
I got 2.4.18 kernel-source and then compiled and
installed it

make menuconfig
make dep
make bzImage
make all
makeinstall
reboot

The new kernel starts up fine but it does not load any
modules like scsi etc.
if find the .o files in /usr/src/kernel-source2.4.18
sub directories but in the /lib/modules i find only a
directory with the previous version i was using
/lib/modules/2.2.20-idepci/
i do not have any /lib/modules/2.4.18/
when i go to the the directory where sg.o is present
in the /usr/src/kernel-source it says that it cannot
find /lib/modules/2.4.18/modules.dep.(BTW when i got
2.4.19 from debian website and updated yesterday it
crashed my completed system (panic while booting) and
not even the old installation cd worked i had to
reformat my entire linux partition to get back the
linux).
please help.
thanks
Srinivas