Re: 2.4.20 is (still) huge

From: "nate" <debian-user@aphroland.org>
To: <debian-user@lists.debian.org>
Subject: Re: 2.4.20 is (still) huge
Date: Sat, 12 Apr 2003 19:45:46 -0700 (PDT)

Emma Jane Hogbin said:

> *everything* I can find in the kernel that can be switched to a module
> has been switched to a module and it still won't work. 2.4.20 is required
> to get ACPI working (and sound).

try posting your .config

I have been running 2.4.20 on my laptop since it came out and while
it is a big kernel(it's my first 2.4.x in a reallly long time, before
that everything was 2.2.x), my kernel boots:

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1.2M Mar 26 21:01 /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.20

you can see my config here:
http://portal.aphroland.org/~aphro/config-2.4.20

a 2.2.19 kernel configured with roughly equivilent options is ~750kb

nate

I was able to get my 2.4.20 down to 689k on my laptop and 697k on my desktop. I could have done much better on the dekstop since it has old hardware. But it is primarily a router/firewall/fileserver, so I compiled in all the advanced network/packet filtering options.

-Roberto