Re: Debian and 2.5 kernels, laptop

Christopher Swingley <cswingle@iarc.uaf.edu> wrote:
> David,
>
> * David Bragason <bragason@uni-freiburg.de> [2003-Apr-11 11:43 AKDT]:
>> I'm new to the 2.5 kernel too, but what you describe all sounds
>> familiar. What fixed it for me: CONFIG_ISA=y. Try that.
>
> Interesting.  'grep ISA /boot/config-2.5.67' shows
>
>    CONFIG_GENERIC_ISA_DMA=y
>    CONFIG_ISA=y
>    CONFIG_NET_ISA_DMA=y
>
> so I've already got the ISA deal.
>
>> Then don't forget to run update-modules after make modules_install.
>> Everything should work.
>
> I used the make-kpkg command from kernel-package to build a Debian
> package for it, and installed it using dpkg.  I wonder if this makes a
> difference?
I've never used it.

> So insertion events trigger the beeping, module insertion and such that
> 2.4.xx pcmcia-cs does?  Which pcmcia-cs package / source are you using?

Yep, no different from when running 2.4. I compiled pcmcia-cs myself,
version 3.2.1, but *without the modules*, namely, my card (3c589) is
supported by the vanilla linux kernel. So, all modules pertaining to
pcmcia (ds, pcmcia_core, yenta_socket, 3c589_cs) are built during the
2.5.67 kernel build. If you are pulling in modules from the pcmcia
package, that might be your problem. In fact, compile of pcmcia-cs fails
if /usr/src/linux points to a 2.5 kernel!

> Would you mind sending me your /boot/config-2.5.xx so I can take a look
> and see if there's something silly I'm missing?
I'll email it to you.