Re: tip of the day: stop prevent 'man' from clearing the screen on exit

On Fri, Apr 11, 2003 at 09:52:56AM +1000, Michael Wardle wrote:
> On Thu, 2003-04-10 at 23:50, Benjamin Rutt wrote:
> > So, the fix was to do a
> >
> >     export LESS=X
> >
> > in my ~/.bashrc.  This avoids the screen clearing "problem" on exit
> > for regular uses of 'less' as well.
>
> As the manual page for less(1) states, this stops less from initializing
> the terminal.  On some systems (such as my Red Hat Linux 7.3 server),
> this also stops the cursor keys performing scrolling, so use of this
> option may be a compromise if prefer using the cursor keys.

Quite true.  It is also deficient in that it only affects less, not vi
and, essentially, every other app that uses curses.  So what's the better
solution, that fixes all curses apps and doesn't disable cursor keys?
(And I know it's possible, because that's the way Debian behaved up until,
IIRC, sometime in the middle of potato.  Why Debian decided at that point
to emulate the brokenness of Red Hat by default and not provide an easy
way to revert to its previous sensible behaviour remains a mystery...)

--
The freedoms that we enjoy presently are the most important victories of the
White Hats over the past several millennia, and it is vitally important that