Ide Device Weirdness

Hi,

I am going insane trying to figure out what is going on here. I hope someone can make sense of this!

I have an i386 box running Testing, it had a raid 5 array in it using the onboard ide controllers and this worked fine. I decided to add 2 promise Ultra ATA 133 TX2 PCI controllers to put each drive on its own channel to speed things up. First I used kernel 2.4.20 and the promise bios sees all the drives OK, when the kernel boots it sees all the drives OK, if I cat /proc/ide/hdg k i   I can see the drives are there and get info on them, however fdisk refuses to see anything higher than hdg.

I tried using chdisk and some other utilities and they are the same, also progs like hddtemp cannot talk to the drives.

I tried going back to 2.4.19 and applying the patch on the promise site, the kernel still sees all the drives OK but I cannot get to them with any programs.

Is there some sort of number of IDE devices or address limitation that I need to change?

There are no IRQ conflicts or other problems that I am aware of it seems to be a problem with programs accessing these devices.

Rolf Schatzmann
MacTherapy Australia Pty Ltd
ACN : 101-488-635
Phone - ++61 (0)410 577 664
Fax (Australia) ++61 (0)8  6210 1533
US Phone ++1 206 666 5622
Fax (International) ++1 208 493 7821
P.O BOX 381. Mt Lawley. Perth. WA. 6050 Australia

http://www.mactherapy.com

MacTherapy provides innovative solutions to Mac, PC & Unix Users around the World.
Ask about our Low cost upgrade solutions for your Computers & Networks.