Re: Finding abandoned packages

Harry Brueckner <hb@o-d.de> writes:

> is there a way to find packages which have no dependencies pointing
> to them?

I'd do this in aptitude.

> For example, when I install 'abcde' it requires 'libcdparanoia' but
> if I remove 'abcde' sometimes later, 'libcdparanoia' gets abandoned
> and is not used anymore.  What I want is to find and remove packages
> like 'libcdparanoia' in this case. :-)

In this case, when you press "+" on 'abcde', aptitude will also mark
libcdparanoia et al. for install, but there will also be an "A" on the
libcdparanoia line.  You can also cause the "A" to appear by pressing
"M".  The "A" means "automatically installed"; if nothing depends on
an "A" package, aptitude will automatically mark it for removal.

This might be particular to the aptitude in testing/unstable, though.

	-- Abra Mitchell