[pentium-builder]: multiple compiler flags destroying the concept?

Hello,

I was just recompiling some packages with enabled
environment variables for pentium-builder and I was
wondering what effect multiple compiler optioins may have:

pentium-builder calls gcc with the -march=athlon and -mcpu=athlon
option (for example), but the make program adds -mcpu=i386 and the
same for -march. The question is, what makes the compiler out of
-march=athlon -march=i386 ?
Will it throw away the first or the last -march option,
or will it agree on the lowest common denominator -> -march=i386?

Does anybody have any experience with that?

Greetings,

Robert