Re: Finding abandoned packages

Hi Harry

> is there a way to find packages which have no dependencies pointing to
> them?

# apt-cache show deborphan
Package: deborphan
Section: admin
Installed-Size: 92
Maintainer: Peter Palfrader <weasel@debian.org>
Architecture: i386
Version: 1.5-1
Depends: libc6 (>= 2.3.1-1), whiptail | dialog
Filename: pool/main/d/deborphan/deborphan_1.5-1_i386.deb
Size: 31368
MD5sum: d8520196fc5e7aaae98c25534952fc6e
 deborphan finds "orphaned" packages on your system.
 It determines which packages have no other packages
 depending on their installation, and shows you a list of
 these packages. It is most useful when finding libraries,
 but it can be used on packages in all sections.

> I would like to clean up my system and if I'd have a list of packages where
> no dependencies point to, I could just walk through the list and remove all
> packages I don't want anymore.
>
> For example, when I install 'abcde' it requires 'libcdparanoia' but if I
> remove 'abcde' sometimes later, 'libcdparanoia' gets abandoned and is not
> used anymore.
> What I want is to find and remove packages like 'libcdparanoia' in this
> case. :-)

I think it is exactly what you want. It won't remove anything, but spit out a
list of "unnecessary" libraries, out of which you can choose what to
dpkg --purge

joerg
--
Gib GATES keine Chance!