Re: Hardware RAID setup

> The user manual mentioned that on page 130 "RAID array initialization",
> but was not clear.
>
> So install hardware, boot and enter 3ware bios with alt-3 and create a
> RAID 1 array.
>
> Boot as normal and partition, format (I'm using XFS) and install Debian.
>
> Then either reboot and alt-3, or install and use the 3dm (or tw_cli)
> utility and select verify which will mirror the disk and enable RAID 1.

it's in the 3dm/tw_cli tools.  You only need the alt-3 method when you
initially setup the drives, you can even disconnect and replace drives
with the 3dm/cli tools without having to reboot.

> I think I asked this before, but if the array looks like a single drive
> can you use hdparm on the individual drives?

Nope, the card hides them from you if they're in an array.

3ware sets them up for you at maximum speed/etc.

> Do you know what that driver does for the kernel?  Again, I kind of
> imagined that with hardware raid the OS would just see a single drive.  Is
> that driver needed for using RAID at all, or does it just provide a way
> for user programs like 3dm and tw_cli to access special features of the
> hardware (like displaying device status and starting a verify operation)?

The driver lets you access the card, same as if you'd have to install a
driver for an Adaptec 2940UW, for example.

The tw_cli/3dm do all the userland stuff like verifies, swapping out
failed drives, setting up priority on rebuilds, and other stuff.

tw_cli runs without having to do anything special under debian 2.2/3.0.

I suspect it acts as a gateway for the userland utils, unlike promise and
highpoints, where the driver IS the raid code.

I wonder where my manual went, I didn't even bother reading it =)

I've got 8 of the 7000-2's, and 3 7500-4's here now.

Mike