Installing Sendmail On Woody

I am trying unsucessufully install and config sendmail

After installing using

apt-get install sendmail
apt-get install ipopd

I use sendmailconfig as suggested during installation.

Sendmail complainned that it can't start because it isn't configured, so I
used m4 sendmail.mc > senmail.cf.

m4 complainned about some missing files which I created using touch

Then it complainned that mqueue wasn't found. So I created a directory
called mqueue

Now it is asking for a file/directory called host_status.

Yesterday I used linuxconf - which made a mess.

Is there any cookbook way to install sendmail in Debian. I am using woody
thru CD 3.0R1 only and not using security update (my lab network is isolated
from internet).

Thanks,

Valter