Re: slow nfs

Sean Middleditch said:
> Hi all,
>
>  I recently started having an issue with my NFS mounts becomming
> sickeningly slow.  If I have the "soft" option in my fstab, most
> file-modification (say, compiling software) gives me weird timeouts and
> I/O errors.  With the "hard" option set, no timeouts/errors, just
> extreme slowness.

recently as in it used to work better?

what options are you using to mount other then soft/hard?

my options:

nfsvers=3,rsize=8192,wsize=8192,rw

it may be a locking issue, at least on my debian linux(2.2.19) nfs
server it's really bad at locking, fairly sure it's a debian issue
as rpc.lockd is what fails(/etc/init.d/nfs-common restart always fixes
it), rather then a kernel issue. my redhat 7.3 nfs server(2.4.18) works
better with locking.

GNOME apps are especially locking intensive, many of them may stall
if nfs locking is broken.

nate