Re: LTSP with Debian

Shri Shrikumar wrote:
Hi,

I am going to set up a machine with Courier-IMAP, Squid, Apache-ssl,
Samba etc for a small office with about a dozen clients - all running a
flavour a windows.

The machine itself is going to be a P4 2.0 GHz with 256mb DDR-RAM.

Now, what I would like to do is set this up with LTSP, KDE3, Evolution,
Mozilla, Openoffice etc.

There is going to be only one client to start off with - a 300MHz
machine with 32MB ram. It already runs windows which I will keep. I will
use a CD to get it to boot with LTSP

The problem that I forsee is of course that for stable versions of the
applications for office work like IMAP, Apache etc. I should use the
woody and for the GUI stuff like KDE3, Evolution etc. I will have to use
unstable. I know that the versions in woody / sarge are decent but I
would like to ease the transition and make them like linux as much as
possible.

The first question is whether it was possible to set up some form of a
virtual machine for LTSP? What I would like to do is essentially set up
two seperate machines within the one so that the bugs and security
problems with the LTSP section do not affect the day to day operations
of the stable section.

I of course realise that if LTSP / Unstable software crash the kernel,
the whole thing is going to go down but that is a risk that I am willing
to take.

Another thing is how difficult it is to configure debian with LTSP. I
have been using debian for a little while now and have a running woody
server here and a testing/unstable workstation.

I expect the userbase to be trusted and there is going to be a firewall
except for the https port so am not too concerned with hacking from the
outside.

Thanks for any help / pointers that you can provide,

Shri

Non trivial configuration for starts..

LTSP works very well with Debian.

I have no ideas about a virtual machine.

I can only suggest that you control your different applications through the use of a potentially extensive /etc/apt/preferences file. This will allow you to select different branches (stable/testing/unstable) for different applications or application-families (kde, gnome, apache) in addition to some interesting defaults.

I suggest that before you create something like a virtual system, you seriously read up on apt_preferences and determine if that will cover things for you.

I think it might.

--
There's no easy quick way out, we're gonna have to live through our
whole lives, win, lose, or draw.