Re: is there a i586 distro?

Hanasaki JiJi said on Sun, Apr 06, 2003 at 08:31:02PM -0500:
> There are two items encouraging me to look at gentoo
> 	1. rumored performance increases from native compiles

That's the problem, really; it's very difficult to measure this sort of thing,
and so you just end up with a lot of "well, it feels faster" comments.

> 	2. more current versions of apps in packages

This is an issue with Debian vs. most any other OS.  Debian stable is older.
This isn't necessarily bad, depending on what you're looking for (ie: I want my
servers to stay up, and I don't want to worry about new bugs in stuff that I've
got working, and I don't care about new features in the fast majority of the
software that I use).  It's a stability vs. features decision, and thankfully
Debian has chosen stability.

> 	* a couple friends have run gentoo, rh, debian, mandrake
> 		and indicate that gentoo is very stable

Sure it is.  For them.  When Gentoo is running on several hundred or thousand
node clusters, then we'll talk stability.

> 	* current packages - no flame wars - exim4 needs to be
> 		downloaded/built for debian and its the main
> 		smtp package

Sure.  I don't use exim myself, but; if it isn't broken, does it matter that
you're not using exim4?  Can you not send/recieve SMTP?

> Main item pushing away from gentoo:
> 	1. long build times on my lowend firewall

This is probably the worst one.  If you've got a security problem, and the only
way to patch it is to rebuild from sources... well, you might be down for a
while, depending on your hardware.

> 	2. need for a compiler on everybox includeing firewall
> 		* rumor has it, gentoo can build a binary
> 			package for distribution
> 			nice feature for for a corporate env
>
> thoughts?

Try them both?  It doesn't really matter to anyone here if you use Debian or
not; we just happen to like it for our own purposes.  If Gentoo serves your
needs better, great!  Otherwise, Debian will be here when you get back.