Re: Mount permissions - playing music CD's

Kevin.Bewley@hpa.org.uk writes:

> I've a problem with my Debian laptop that I just cannot figure out.
> Users on my machine can mount the CD drive and read files from it. But, if
> I load up groovyCD or XMMS as a user I cannot play music from it. If I su
> to 'root' I can! My user is a member of group audio and can play sounds via
> /dev/dsp normally. What is going on?

Do you have read permissions on the device that /dev/cdrom points to?
I'd do something like 'chgrp cdrom /dev/hdc' as root and add yourself
to the cdrom group, assuming that /dev/hdc is the device file
corresponding to your CD-ROM device.  You definitely *shouldn't* add
yourself to the disk group, since that will give your user account
read/write access to the raw devices your filesystems live on ("that's
bad").

	-- Abra Mitchell