order of usb/firewire SCSI devices

I have my kernel set up to drive my USB 1.1 ports (on the motherboard)
and my firewire/ieee1394 port (on a SB Audigy card). I have hotplug
installed, and everything is working fine. I can plug in a device and
the appropriate modules are loaded ready for me to mount the device.

However, the first device I plug in gets to be /dev/sda and the second
is /dev/sdb.

Is there any way I can make it so that /dev/sda is always the firewire
device, and /dev/sdb is always the USB device? I want to set up a fstab
entry to make mounting the devices easier, but since the device name is
variable, I can't do this. Nor can I use disk labels (LABEL=xxx), since
the USB device is a VFAT filesystem, as is one partition on the firewire
drive.

Or is there some other way I can refer to the devices in a way
independently of the order they are plugged in?

BTW. I am not running devfs.