Re: KDE problem

On Mon, 7 Apr 2003 12:18:33 +0800
"Tran Tuan Anh" <trantuan@comp.nus.edu.sg> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I managed to bring up KDE,
> however there are few problems.
>
> The resolution of screen is 1400*1200 which is too big,
> could anyone tell me how to resize?
>
> and now when I boot system up the login screen is in graphic not text..
> and I did not do anything... how could I change it back to text login?
>
> also I cannot use Alt F2, Alt F3 etc to switch to another virtual consoles
> in KDE :(

I believe you're saying that you can't see all of the desktop in your
screen. If this is true, do "dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86", and when you
are asked what is your maximum resolution, choose 1024x768. If this is still
too much, reconfigure again and choose 800x600.

To return to text login, "apt-get remove --purge xdm gdm kdm". If you change
your mind install one of the the packages. You only need one.

In X, use <ctrl><alt>F? for a text console. If you start at a text console
and then do "startx" for X, you should *not* do <ctrl><alt>F1. That console
is being used by your login. Use F2-F6 instead.

Kevin