Re: Resolving hostnames using DHCP

* Mark Zimmerman <mark@foresthaven.com> [20030406 10:18 PDT]:
> 3. Since you want the internal names and IP addresses to be dynamic,
>    the internal nameserver must allow the dhcp server to provide
>    dynamic updates to it.

Well, you can get the benfits of DHCP without the addresses being really
"dynamic".  In your dhcp server's config, you can assign "dhcp sticky"
addresses.  Basically, you put hardware addresses in the dhcpd conf file
and have it always give the same IP addresses to the same hardware
addresses.

One way I've found to manage this pretty nicely is to run a local
nameserver providing name=>IP and IP=>name lookups.  Then set your dhcp
server to map hardware addresses to names.

This method will make adding hosts a 2-step process (update dhcpd.conf,
update dns) instead of one, though.  Changing a host's address can be
done by editing only the DNS zone files, and not touching dhcpd.conf.

This may or may not (probably not) be a better way than bind9's dynamic
updates; I just wanted to point it out as an alternative.

good times,
Vineet
--
http://www.doorstop.net/