Re: GRUB question - book2

Kevin McKinley wrote:
On Sun, 06 Apr 2003 09:32:53 -0500
Hanasaki JiJi <hanasaki@hanaden.com> wrote:

What are the pros/cons of usin Grub vs Lilo?  Lilo vs Grub?

I have *one* floppy disk with grub on it; I can use it to boot any Windows
machine, any Linux machine, BSD machines, or OS/2 machines. You can't do
that with lilo.

I use kernel-package to build kernels. When I install or remove one of my
kernels, update-grub is run to update my grub boot menu. I'm not limited to
two kernels as I would be with lilo.

Any tips on using grub?

Go here for an excellent tutorial on using grub:

After you have grub installed on your hard drive and have made a grub boot
floppy, run "update-grub" to generate a grub boot menu file. Read it
carefully. Follow the instructions to customize it. Then run update-grub
again.

Kevin

I too was a non-believer. I didn't want GRUB or LILO because it modified the MBR and I was juggling multiple Linuxes and Windows. I had tried various booters before but never had any satisfaction. Finally, I tried GRUB on a floppy and it opened a new world. Now
I add and remove different operating systems and just create a new
GRUB floppy and it works like a charm.  Go for GRUB on a floppy.
I even have it on the hard drive now.

The tutorial at the address above is excellent.