Re: Security Questions

A few answers, but first a question: How do you know that your network
has definitely been compromised? If the only evidence you have is that
your daughter received returned emails she didn't send, how to you know
that someone didn't generate those emails elsewhere, spoofing her email
address and reply-to header? You could gain some insight by looking at
the emails more carefully; if the emails were bounced by a mail relay
along the way and returned, then you can see by the headers if the
originated at your normal smtp (outgoing) server or not, which would
give you some information. Just a thought.

Assuming your network IS compromised (and even if it isn't), remember
that a wireless network cannot be 100% secured with current
implementations, but you can do a lot to limit breaches: employ WEP
encryption, disable SSID broadcasting, set up your router to allow
access only by specified MAC addresses (this is the hardware address
encoding into every ethernet interface, not the IP address used by the
corresponding computer), and so on. There was an excellent article on
wireless LAN security on arstechnica.com a few months ago that you
should read.

My personal preference for dealing with a compromised system is to fully
wipe the HD (repartition and reformat) and reinstall everything. There
are, I suppose, other approaches you can use - for instance, if you
compared the size, timestamp, and contents of every "system" file on a
suspected system to those on a clean distribution and found no
mismatches, it would be unlikely at a root kit was installed. I have
seen occasional references to scripts that can do this here and there,
but don't recall any of them offhand. Another approach is to build a
"snapshot" of the entire system (file name, timestamp, permissions,
size, uid.gid, etc) into a file. YOu can then periodically compare the
state of the current system to the saved database (stored, of course,
offline to avoid being changed by a malicious intruder) and that would
tell you if the system has been changed or not. That doesn't help you
here, but does help to detect a later breach. (Remember, if you do
something like this, that every time you apt-get
install/remove/update/upgrade/dist-upgrade you change the system, so you
need to run the scanner to verify system intregity before any apt-get -
to ensure the system is ok before you start -, and again after the
apt-get in order to create a new snapshot).

Lastly, bear in mind that as long as you allow an "unsecured" system
behind your firewall (your grandson's computer) there is no way to
ensure the security of your network.

Good luck.