Re: Backported openoffice and freetype

On Wed, Apr 02, 2003 at 08:14:14PM -0500, James D Strandboge wrote:

> I am the maintainer of the gnome 2.2 backport for woody, and I have been
> getting a lot of questions regarding the semi-official backport of
> openoffice for woody.  It depends on woody's libfreetype, whereas my
> gnome 2.2 backport needs freetype 2.1.3 (and xfree86 4.2 for that
> matter).
>
> I personally have been using your backport of openoffice, and have
> recommended it to a few people because your openoffice packages don't
> require the woody freetype.  I did have a couple questions though:
>
> 1.  Is your backport basically the semi-official version with the sid
> freetype?

My OpenOffice.org packages are a recompiled version of the 1.0.2-1
packages taken from Debian unstable (I'm recompiling them myself since I
want to know how the packages I'm providing are built to be able to add
local bugfixes).

> 2.  Do you plan on keeping the freetype dependency as is (specifically,
> will it remain compatible with my backport by using freetype 2.1.x)?

I can't make any garuantees.

My goal is to provide a set of high quality packages [1] with working
upgrades both from Debian 3.0 to Debian 3.0 plus my packages and from
Debian 3.0 plus my packages ti Debian 3.1. I don't support combinations
with any other sources of backport packages (there are _many_ sources
for backported packages of various quality).

> 3.  Are you planning on following the release schedule of the
> semi-official version?

My plan with the whole collection of my backport packages [1] is to get
them into a bugfix-only state in the near future. It's possible
(depending on the estimated release date of Debian 3.1) that I'll start
another set of packages but the bunk-1 packages will then stay in a
bugfix-only state (e.g. they will never include OpenOffice.org 1.1).

> Please CC debian-user so this can be in the archive.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jamie Strandboge

cu
Adrian