Re: Cups problem

On April 4, 2003 07:24 pm, Andy Hurt wrote:

> > Questions:
> > I am runnning 'unstable' - is there anything printing related that is
> > broken ?
> >
> > Is there anything real obvious here that I am forgetting to do ?
> >
> > I did try all kinds of google searches but haven't come up with anything
> > useful there.
>
> Egads--I'm not the only one!
>
> I have a HP 5L-Parallel, and run unstable.  I can print like crazy from
> every program/console--it's only the test page that won't print.  When I
> try to print the test, the light blinks on the printer a couple of times,
> but there is no output.
<snip>
> Can't find anything of direct relevance at news.easysw.com/cups.general or
> news.easysw.com/cups.bugs, and I still have yet to finalize my
> configuration-diagnosis/thoughts for a post there.
>
> Can you print outside of localhost/631?
>
> Print Test Page worked last month (prior install of 3.0r1, upgraded to
> unstable)--sure would like to see it, again, just once  ;-)

I now believe that something VERY fundamentally is wrong with my setup.
Everything cups related seems to work as I would expect it to except there is
no print. I finally (should have started there - doooohhhh) started checking
the basics such as redirecting a 'cat' listing to a printer through the
command line and I am getting nowhere. I also discovered some inconsistencies
in /dev in regards to the ports although I haven't quite figured out why I
don't like what I see (gut feeling.....).
I will have some time tomorrow and I will unload everything printer related
and start from square -1.

BTW, when I was searching for similar problems via google, I ran into a few
mentions of 'not able to print test pages but everything else works' - this
doesn't seem to be something that only you have run into (well, I suppose
that those posts could have been from you :) ).

I will post the results when I have figured out what is happening.

I don't think I mentioned that the printer dialog thu KWord and KWrite would
crash the programs if cups was selected as the printer protocol (or whatever
they call it). Also, when I run the KDE 3.1 print manager application and I
have cups selected as the print system, clicking on either of the two
configured printers will crash the print manager.

I didn't pay much attention to all this for a while since a lot of weird
things and crashes have shown up in the unstable branch since KDE 3.1 was
introduced.

Jens