Cups problem

I am having problems with cups on a system I recently set up. I loaded
(apt-get install) cupsys and gs-esp is also loaded. I can open the admin page
at http://localhost:631, I can add printers, I can see the cues but any test
pages are instantly cancelled. Looking at the erro_log file I see a message
of unable to convert file to printable format with a hint of 'check if esp
ghostscript is loaded' ... and it seems to be (I removed and reloaded just to
be sure). The two printers I have added show as being idle and accepting
jobs. I have set up several instances of cups in the past and I don't recall
ever having any trouble with this.

Questions:
I am runnning 'unstable' - is there anything printing related that is broken ?

Is there anything real obvious here that I am forgetting to do ?

I did try all kinds of google searches but haven't come up with anything
useful there.

Jens