Re: disable one users email?

On Thu, 2003-04-03 at 22:05, Talon wrote:
> Quoting Paul Mackinney <paul_mackinney@mackinney.net>:
> > >
> > You'll have to read the exim.conf documentation to find out how to
> > customize the TRANSPORTS CONFIGURATION section and customize the
> > local_delivery transport.
> >
> > Note that these methods will only stop them from sending & receiving
> > mail using the account on that particular box, if they have internet
> > access they have any number ways to send & receive email using other
> > accounts unless you throttle their access back so much that they might
> > as well not have an account (IMO). I'd be glad to hear from more
> > experienced sysadmins on this, and I'm curious as to what's the problem
> > with a normal user having mail access.
>
> I agree with you that if a user has an account, they should have email.
> The accounts are for Elementary students. Some of the teachers/staff don't
> want some kids to have access to email if they abuse it. (They could send
> nasty emails to other class mates) (We use IMP)
> We use a squid proxy to help block commercial email sites from the school, but
> this will never stop a kid from sending email from their homes.
> Anyway, I hope I never have to block email accounts, but if the boss says so,
> then I guess I have to find a way.
> Thanks for your suggestions.
Couldnt you do the blocking from imp?  Just disallow them from loging
into imp.  That would stop them from sending anything.  Of course you
would have to disable any mua that may be on the machines that exim will
forward mail for.  Also if these are elementary school students and all
they use this machine for is email, why not just remove thier account if
they are naughty.