Re: [OT, FLAME] Linux Sucks

Scott C. Linnenbringer wrote:
On Monday 24 March 2003 10:06 am, Larry wrote:

I don't condone the outburst, and am not fully tuned
in on this incident.

I must say, however, that compared to a number of
other systems I've worked with, Debian is difficult to
get installed and configured.  I suspect the poor
fellow was ready to tear his hair out (assuming he had
some hair).

The 'poor' fellow shouldn't be using Debian to begin. Debian is an operating system for hobbyists and technically literate individuals who want a powerful and complete system, and a free one at that. It's not for one who gets frustrated easily; It wasn't designed for that. If I wanted a system that was simple, did everything I want, but had to sacrifice performance, power, enjoyment, et cetera, then I'd run Windows. Thus, I run Debian!

On the other hand, I've found the system to function
extrememly well, and be marvilously stable.

Sid isn't the same way, as it takes some unborking to get working. But it's fun and I learn quite a bit, so it's worth it. Stable doesn't break when you finally get it working, but it can still be difficult for Joe (no offense to the people named Joe) Doofus to set up. Linux is, and forever will be, an operating system for the technically literate and those who want to be technically literate.

Once
installed, it is easy to upgrade and install
applications on.  So the big hump, unfortunately, is
at the very beginning.

Simply put, if you get frustrated easily, then you shouldn't be using Linux.

Is that the way it is supposed to be?  If it is too easy to install, the system
can't be much good, right?