Re: Dmesg & Fdisk see only 30 out of 60 MB--SOLVED

David Raeker-Jordan wrote:

> I recently installed a new Samsung 60 MB HD into a 1998 "vintage" Celeron
> machine as /dev/hdb. The BIOS reports the drive as 30 MB.
>
> I thought that Debian would see the whole drive, but dmesg and fdisk only
> report about 30 or 32 GB.
>
> I then booted Knoppix, and it sees the whole 60 MB. Here is what fdisk on
> Knoppix reports:
>
> What have I done wrong?

Then Christoph Walther came to rescue with the following idea:

Here's an idea that worked for me.

Keep the harddisk jumpered to use the _full_ capacity, e.g. 60GB, use a
2.4.20-Kernel, and make sure the CONFIG_IDEDISK_STROKE kernel parameter is
set to yes.

(You can check the setting with "grep CONFIG_IDEDISK_STROKE
/boot/config-insert_version_here")

.config

#
# IDE, ATA and ATAPI Block devices
#
CONFIG_IDEDISK_STROKE=y

edited by make menuconfig.

That means, to activate in the kernel the resize-function for big
IDE-Harddisks.
Compile the Kernel and restart your system.
Forget screwdrivers, BIOS-Updates, ATA100-Cards or a new Motherboards
and , at last, avoid the fit of rage....
That's the easiest and the most intelligent way to get the
full harddisk-capacity!
I tried it successfully on my old (1997) Pentium I, 166MMX-System with
a Western Digital 60GB-Harddisk on Debian 3.0r1 !

___

Final Note: I recomplied the kernel and it worked like a charm. Thanks!

--
David Raeker-Jordan
mailto:david@raeker-jordan.net