Re: What;s required to get squierrelmail working on Debian?

On Thu, Apr 03, 2003 at 01:29:17PM -0800, nate wrote:
> stan said:
> > I'm trying to get squierrmail working on a fresh stable/testign install.
> > I've installed exim, the various peices of courier that I think I need,
> > and apache. I've run /etc/squierrelmail/comf.pl.
> >
> > It looks like I may need to edit some apache files by hand?
> >
> > A quick HOWTO on this would be _greatly_ apreciated.

Thanks for the help.

> apt-get install squirrelmail
done

> exim/courier/mail server stuff is not part of squirrelmail, there
> are so many different possiblities that a generic HOWTO probably wouldn't
> be the greatest.
>
> first concentrate on getting your IMAP and SMTP services working with
> a normal mail client(don't even think about SM), then once that's done
> install SM. last time I installed the debian version of SM it "just worked"
> though I currently use the official distribution rather then the debian
> package(out of habbit, I've been using it since 01/01).

I've got POP3, and IMAP working. Tested using fetchmail on a remote
machine.

> cyrus seems to be the fastest IMAP server(even 1.5). I reccomend
> installing php4-apc that can improve performance by about 5x, also
> mod_php(which is installed by default with debian's SM last I checked).

I'll worry about preformance, when I get it working :-)

So, given that I've got the preequistes working, what should I check next?

neither liberty nor safety."
						-- Benjamin Franklin