Re: What;s required to get squierrelmail working on Debian?

stan said:
> I'm trying to get squierrmail working on a fresh stable/testign install.
> I've installed exim, the various peices of courier that I think I need,
> and apache. I've run /etc/squierrelmail/comf.pl.
>
> It looks like I may need to edit some apache files by hand?
>
> A quick HOWTO on this would be _greatly_ apreciated.

apt-get install squirrelmail

exim/courier/mail server stuff is not part of squirrelmail, there
are so many different possiblities that a generic HOWTO probably wouldn't
be the greatest.

first concentrate on getting your IMAP and SMTP services working with
a normal mail client(don't even think about SM), then once that's done
install SM. last time I installed the debian version of SM it "just worked"
though I currently use the official distribution rather then the debian
package(out of habbit, I've been using it since 01/01).

cyrus seems to be the fastest IMAP server(even 1.5). I reccomend
installing php4-apc that can improve performance by about 5x, also
mod_php(which is installed by default with debian's SM last I checked).

nate