Re: Booting to console is a non-event 0r give me back CLI

andy denton said:
> Hello,
>
> After adding some applications that use elements of
> gnome, the boot now
> starts xdm directly. Prior to changes the boot started
> a console, when
> needed the xdm gui could be started using Alt + F7.
> I wish to reinstate that process.
> So far I have found this on google, seems relevant to
> me.

I'm not aware of any setup that you mention ...if you
want to prevent xdm from running on boot, something
along the lines of

update-rc.d xdm remove

then, next time the system boots xdm will not start.

you'll need to run 'startx' to load X, or manually
start xdm via /etc/init.d/xdm start

but I am not aware of any setup where xdm loads,
while at the same time the system defaults to console
login, every system I've used if a display manager loads
the default console automatically switches to that of
the X server. you can of course switch BACK to the console
from the X server, but system freezes are possible on
certain setups when attempting this.

nate