Re: [OT] email standard maximum line length

On Thu, Apr 03, 2003 at 02:31:09PM -0800, Paul E Condon wrote:
> I am getting email from an old friend who is not a Debian type like
> me.  He types his email into a window on what he calls 'just a
> standard PC' and the computer automatically starts new lines on his
> screen when needed. His software is, in his words, 'just plain mail
> software, nothing special'.  Sometimes his emails are longer than a
> few dozen words, and when they exceed about one thousand characters of
> text, they are truncated. The last part of what he typed is simply
> missing from my copy. I suppose that there is a line buffer somewhere
> in the chain of delivery that is 1000 or 1024 bytes long.
read the headers and try figure which mua he's using, then google for
info/manuals for it and try figure how to set wrapping. Then translate
your findings into something he will understand and transmit (via
phone?? while he is sitting at the comp?)

if headers are non-conclusive try probing him a little more with suble
questions like "what is the icon you click to start your email thingy
called?"

im so patronising with clueless people!! ironic really as 90% of the
time i display said property myself.

anyway...

hugh