Re: is there a i586 distro?

Ray <ray.list@powerweb.net> writes:
> or others that are compiled/optimized for the later i386 PCs?
>
> if so, where?
>
> if not, how should i go about mass source compiling debs for my computers?
> (i have a couple P1 laptops, P2s and a P4)
>
> and is it worth it?

My suspicion would be that you wouldn't see much difference. Even if
there was *some* difference I bet it'd be hard to justify the slight
performance increase you'd see considering the amount of time a job
like recompiling a significant portion of your installed base would
take. Plus, if you're talking about something like the "testing" or
"unstable" Debian distribution you'd be compiling/recompiling almost
daily as packages were updated.

The only thing that I vaguely recall someone mentioning would see a
significant performance boost from recompiling for later processors
were the encryption-based packages that need to do a lot of number
crunching, but I would hazard that even there you're talking about,
maybe, a few tens of percentage points performance increase, not
orders of magnitude.

If you're really Gung-Ho about doing it though, I'd probably consider
a source-based Linux distribution instead of Debian. Something like
Gentoo (http://www.gentoo.org).

Gary