Ugly font hell

Help! I'm in Ugly Font Hell. I have a Sarge system that's all
up-to-date, but can't find the Debian Way to have decent looking
antialiased fonts in X. I've gone through message archives,
Google, Debian bug reports, and every other source trying to fix
this problem. I've mucked with defoma, libfreetype6, fontconfig,
and more, but none of these do anything to help.

I can use the Gnome-AA session in GDM and get smooth fonts in GTK
and Galeon ... except the XUL bits within Galeon are gigantic --
a single form button won't fit within the browser! Mozilla shows
up the same way. It's menu won't even fit on the screen. Other
apps also fail to work properly with the way the session invokes
libgdkxft0 in LD_PRELOAD. Notably Gabber dies as soon as a chat
window is opened.

However, if I use the standard GDM session or run "startx" directly,
I get blocky fonts everywhere. All the apps work, but look horrendous,
Mozilla and Galeon included.

Is there a way to make this work in Sarge? Or am I lost in Ugly Font
Hell indefinitely?

Thanks,
Robbie