Re: urgent Mail Server

On Wed, Apr 02, 2003 at 09:18:50AM -0500, ronin2@bellatlantic.net wrote:
> On Wed, 2 Apr 2003 01:31:02 -0800
> Paul Johnson <baloo@ursine.dyndns.org> wrote:
>
> > I guess this message is some sort of demented halucination.  I have
> > never had an MX record...yet I still get the list.  I also haven't had
>
> He didn't say the person with the mail server needed an MX record, he
> said that "somewhere out there on the internet there is a nameserver for
> your domain name with MX records that point at your mail server."
>
> Apparently for you that somewhere is dyndns. If *no one* had it, you
> wouldn't receive mail.

Please read section 5 of rfc 2821.

 "If no MX records are found, but an A RR is found, the A RR is
  treated as if it was associated with an implicit MX RR, with a
  preference of 0, pointing to that host."

Thus Paul's setup not only works, it _should_ work as it is compliant.
Any MTA which cannot deliver mail to Paul's system due to the lack of
an MX record is broken.

  Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly,
  while bad people will find a way around the laws.
          -- Plato