Re: buying a cd writer

On Sun, 30 Mar 2003 03:40:09 +0100,
Pigeon wrote:

> On Sat, Mar 29, 2003 at 11:10:30PM +0000, Jonathan Matthews wrote:
> >
> > Is it the case (as a local PC shop assistant tried to
> > convince me recently) that having the reader and burner on
> > the same IDE interface means that copying CDs is faster?  As
> > though the reader can put the data on the wire and the burner
> > read it directly, without it having to go
> > reader -> ide bus -> cpu (or mainboard) -> ide bus -> writer.
>
> That's the wrong way round. IDE is way too dumb to do that sort
> of thing. The data goes reader -> ide bus -> cpu (or mainboard)
> -> ide bus -> writer in any case. But with both reader and
> writer on the same port, they can't both be transferring data
> at the same time. If you put them on different ports, they can
> (more or less).
>
> It's generally both faster and more stable to put the writer on
> a cable on its own, and have the reader and the hard drive
> sharing the other cable.

Care to enlighten me on this one? A hard drive is fast; a CD
writer is slow (even if the manufacturer claims it writes at
XXx). So the hard drive is going to be hobbled by the CD writer,
right? I have the impression that the "red" IDE connector is for
slow devices, while the blue connector is for bleeding-edge
devices, the numbers computer (re)sellers like to tack on to
their specs: UDMA 133.