Re: Help with DRM / DRI on Matrox G400

On Sun, 30 Mar 2003 20:22:12 -0800,
Paul Mackinney wrote:

> briand@aracnet.com declaimed:
> >
> >   Paul> I don't have a device /dev/dri/card0. Am I supposed to be
> >   Paul> running devfs?  Kernel config shows
> >
> >   Paul> $ grep DEVFS config-2.4.20-k6 CONFIG_DEVFS_FS=y #
> >   Paul> CONFIG_DEVFS_MOUNT is not set # CONFIG_DEVFS_DEBUG is not set
> >
> > You need that card device:
> >
> > ~ $ ls -ld /dev/dri
> > drwxr-xr-x    2 root     root         4096 Jan 22 14:10 /dev/dri
> > ~ $ ls -l /dev/dri
> > total 0
> > crw-rw-rw-    1 root     video    226,   0 Jan 22 14:10 card0
> >
> > Sorry but I didn't see the start of the thread.  Another
> > thing you will also need is agp support (agpgart).
> >
> > be sure and load the agpgart module _before_ starting X.
> >
> > Brian

> starting X, the device node was created somehow, and DRI is
> K6-III/450 to play DVDs, though :-(

This should be more than enough to play DVD's with mplayer. What
player are you using? The DRI is a bonus. I think what you're
looking for is simply the X Video Extension (xv). I've only
recently enabled DRI on one computer with a Radeon VE, but have
been able to watch videos of various formats at decent frame
rates for the past two years or so.