Re: Removable Media: What is the practical answer??

On Wed, 2003-04-02 at 01:23, Scott Henson wrote:
> On Tue, 2003-04-01 at 20:37, Bruce wrote:
> > >
> > >      Check out the mtools package.
> > >

> > Yes, there are packages and command line tools to do many disk-related
> > things, but don't forget Mom used WP5.x as her file manager, and never saw
> > a command prompt, and isn't about to start now....
> >
> > I was really just using the box of floppies as an example. Really, my
> > question is whether there is a reliable, GUI, way to access removable
> > media in linux??
> gnome 2.2 has some nice features.  The disk mounter applets might be of
> use.  There is some limited retraining, but its one button and then the
> icon for that media apears on the desktop.  My parents adjusted nicly to
> it.
I almost forgot.  Also magicdev would also be something you might wanna
look at.  Your gonna need an external repository, but from what I hear
about it, it does what you want.  It only works for CD's right now, but
its a step in the right direction.  Maybe burn all your mom's files to a
cd-r for her... its probably eaiser to search and will most likely last
longer.

--
Scott Henson <debian-list@silvercoin.dyndns.org>