Re: kernel recompile - eth0 problems

On Wed, Apr 02, 2003 at 10:11:31AM +0800, Brian Walker wrote:
> Searching through documentation I realized there was no module compiled
> - recompiled but could not find the needed axnet_cs driver in the
> choices revealed by make xconfig, and in /lib/modules/2.4.20/pcmcia not
> a trace of a driver anywhere. BTW the difference between modules in
> 2.2.20 and 2.4.20 - I now lack /net /usb and /cdrom, although I had
> compiled them into the kernel. What does this reflect?

The layout changed between 2.2 and 2.4.  Take a look at
/lib/modules/2.4.20/kernel/*.

> Copied the old axnet_cs - no go. Booting, and dmesg informs me that only
> the vendor can sort out the problem I am having with the driver ...
>
> Search Google - nil that made sense to me.
>
> Which FM or HOWTO would show the way forward? Any quickfix suggested?

Just take a look at $KERNEL_SOURCE/Documentation/Configure.help.  To get
axnet_cs, starting from the main menu (I'm more used to menuconfig),
select "Network device support", followed by "PCMCIA network device
support", and then the module "Asix AX88190 PCMCIA support".  This all
assumes that you've already enabled PCMCIA support in "General setup".

--
Seneca
seneca-cunningham@rogers.com