Re: kernel recompile - eth0 problems

On Wed, 02 Apr 2003 10:11:31 +0800
Brian Walker <bfwalker@net-yan.com> wrote:

> Searching through documentation I realized there was no module
> compiled - recompiled but could not find the needed axnet_cs driver in
> the choices revealed by make xconfig, and in
> /lib/modules/2.4.20/pcmcia not a trace of a driver anywhere. BTW the
> difference between modules in 2.2.20 and 2.4.20 - I now lack /net /usb
> and /cdrom, although I had compiled them into the kernel. What does
> this reflect?
>
> Copied the old axnet_cs - no go. Booting, and dmesg informs me that
> only the vendor can sort out the problem I am having with the driver

Sounds like you missed something in the Advanced Topics section on
Third-Party modules.

You must disable PCMCIA *completely* in the kernel config. That's right,
tell the kernel you don't need no steenkin' PCMCIA. pcmcia-cs looks at
this; if it finds PCMCIA enabled in the kernel it won't build kernel
modules.

Kevin