RE: How to manage a large number of JPEG images?

You could use Imagemagik, a very useful bunch of routines.

# apt-cache show imagemagick
Package: imagemagick
Section: graphics
Installed-Size: 3436
Maintainer: Ryuichi Arafune <arafune@debian.org>
Architecture: i386
Version: 4:5.4.4.5-1
Replaces: imagemagick-doc, geomview (<= 1.8.0)
Depends: libmagick5(=4:5.4.4.5-1)
Suggests: gs, html2ps, lpr
Conflicts: imagemagick-doc
Filename: pool/main/i/imagemagick/imagemagick_5.4.4.5-1_i386.deb
Size: 1294546
MD5sum: 9e82847230a590b096f401ac88338d46
 Imagemagick is a set of programs to manipulate various image formats
 (JPEG, TIFF, PhotoCD, PBM, XPM, etc...). All manipulations can
 be achieved through shell commands as well as through a X11 graphical
 interface (display).
 .
 Possible effects: colormap manipulation, channel operations, thumbnail
 creation, image annotation, limited drawing, image distortion, etc...
 .
 This package suggests a postscript interpreter (gs) to read postscript
 files. It will however function happily without it (as long as you don't
 want to read postscript).

http://www.imagemagick.org/

or

phpGallery