Re: KNOPPIX as an installer for Debian

At Sun, 30 Mar 2003 11:49:01 -0500,
ronin2@bellatlantic.net wrote:

> On 30 Mar 2003 02:09:11 -0500
> "Mark L. Kahnt" <kahnt@hosehead.dyndns.org> wrote:
>
> > The band around the spindle says 700 MB (and even Memorex)
> > but I've produced two coasters based on the message hoarked
> > out by cdrecord.
> >
> > I just don't seem to have much luck with trying to get a
> > working Knoppix CD ;)

Consider yourself lucky. I have problems just trying to download
the image. Just two days ago I managed to get past the 150 MB
mark, when the mirror I was using decided to put up a newer ISO
image. Just yesterday, using another mirror, I had already
downloaded 30 MB of the newer Knoppix 3.2 release series, when
the mirror also decided to change ISO images. I have tried
downloading Knoppix dozens of times, all of them ended up as a
cruel waste of dialup bandwidth (fairly cheap but slow access).

> I produced a lot of coaster with Memorex CD-Rs. I threw them
> away and bought something else. No more coasters.
>
> Yesterday I was in a friend's computer shop when a customer
> came to pick up his computer; his reason for dropping it off
> was that he couldn't burn CDs. He was using Memorex CD-Rs. The
> shop tested his CD burner by burning a CD with another brand of
> medium -- worked fine.

From my experience the more expensive burners tend to be more
tolerant of cheap (labelless) CDR's. It might be that you're
using an older burner that doesn't reliably recognize the more
recent 700MB CDR's, particularly the cheap ones. I'm having
problems getting 800MB CDR's recognized by a four-year old
CDRWriter.