Re: rsync: what userid to run it?

>From Abdul Latip on Monday, 2003-03-31 at 19:53:12 -0500:
> Hi,
>
> May I know what the current practice is for running an
> rsync cron?
> - what userid is used? root? ftp? anything else?
> - where to put the logs? /var/log/rsync/ ?
>
> Thank you.

I am no rsync expert---maybe others can give you a better
answer---but I do use rsync to make local backups.

For the backup of local users, I have

uid = <username>
gid = <username>

in /etc/rsyncd.conf on the user's (source) machine.
In my case, the logs go into /root on the destination
machine, but this is perhaps not optimal. I imagine
/var/log might be more appropriate?

For the backup of system files, I use

uid = nobody
gid = nogroup

in /etc/rsyncd.conf on a debian-based source machine, and

uid = nobody
gid = nobody

on an rpm based source machine such as Red Hat or Mandrake.

Hope that helps, Conrad