Re: Partitioning for Speed - heads

hi ya oki

On Tue, 1 Apr 2003, Oki DZ wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 31, 2003 at 05:03:17PM -0800, Alvin Oga wrote:
> > - less moving of the heads is generally faster  as it takes too long
> >   to move the head relative to just reading data
>
> How long is exactly to move the head from outside to the center?
> Long ago, I tinkered with moving the swap partition inside/outside, but
> now I believe that the difference is hardly noticeable.

nobody shoould be moving heads from the outside ( track 0 ) all the way
to the inside... that'd be ridiculously slow

- average seek latency is the magic number what you;re looking for
	-- but thats just average .. who knows what that means...

- say its 3ms  or as high as 100ms....
	and the disks is spinning round-n-round at 7200rpm or 10000rpm
	or 15000rpm  would be a lot of missed data while moving heads
	that you could have read on all 8-16 tracks (number of real heads)

- a good ide driver will improve disk i/o ... :-)
  that maybe we can finally get the 100MB/sec out of a ata-100 disk

- raid comes closer/better with disk reads .. much faster than a single
  disk

- notice ...
	- as the disks get full ... performance degrades
	- as you add more disks ... your performance increases

	http://www6.tomshardware.com/storage/20000329/fastrak66-14.html

- zone bit recording

	http://www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/geom/tracks_ZBR.htm

c ya