Woody reinstall, mozilla menu huge fonts

Hi,
  I *had* Woody, KDE 3, GCC new version [to go with
KDE 3], and mozilla, on an 800Mhz 686-PII-MMX box.

  I noticed that my 5 gb/5 gb partitioning of usr and
var was not very effective, so I decided to change it
to 2 gb/8 gb.  To do this, I decided to reinstall
Woody.  I was also hoping to upgrade to Sarge in the
process.  I kept my /home directories there, but
reinitialized everything else.

  Everything went fine until I got to tasksel.  I
broke out of the process, and stepped over to dselect
to try and peg to sarge[testing] -- no good [probably
because I was using an incomplete mirror].  So I
switched back to standard sources, and reran tasksel,
and then used dselect to trim things up a bit.

  I decided to stick with kde2, since I intend to
eventually get rid of kde anyhow.  I also picked up
Gnome, though, because it seems to run faster.

  I had one problem starting X, which I solved:
/etc/X11/X did not exist, I had to manually create a
symlink.  I also had to manually discover my
/dev/psaux mouse and symlink it to /dev/mouse [I feel
good about figuring that one out on my own].

  So far, so good.  But when I ran mozilla, I had an
interesting situation.  With User1, everything was
fine.  With User2 and a new install of User3, though,
the menus were all giant (256 pt?).  After some
googling, I found out how to set the userChrome.css
files, and managed to clear *some* of the menu back to
10 point.  But new emails, replies, and that
frustrating "search" bar at the top of the mozilla
email page were still huge.

  I then completely uninstalled mozilla, went over to
/etc/mozilla [deleted that], /usr/.../mozilla [deleted
that] /var/.../mozilla [deleted that], and
reinstalled.

  Fine?  Well, no.  The User1 was now messed up, too.
Plus the others.  [accidentally "rm -rf .mozilla"'d
the User1 profile and it's email, while trying to do
it to test case User3... oops.  Remind me to think
about Unix as "not dos, no undeletes".  But no
biggie.]

  So I'm wondering what's gone wrong.  *WHY* do those
fonts on the menu come out giant?  I really like
mozilla, but at the current stage it's unusable, and
googling doesn't provide any clues.

  I'm asking it here, because this *could* be a debian
issue, and also because I'm not finding much evidence
of mozilla user groups.  Any help would be
appreciated:  either a full listing of all the
userChrome.css settings, so that I can manually peg my
font sizes, or alternatively an understanding of what
got corrupted and how to fix it.  If I had to take a
wild, random guess, some font size got set to zero in
the main css, and is defaulting to a full cycling of a
1-byte counter, 256.

 - Michael Rudmin