RE: [~OT] tax program for linux

| > Anal retentive? No, just getting *my* money back from the government.
| > It's called owning a house and getting deductions that are due. Buy one,
| > you might like it.
|
| I don't think Paul meant anything by it.  The original poster sounded as
| though he were a student or other young limited-income person, in
| which case
| a 1040EZ would make perfect sense.
|
| On the other hand, my accountant just called to tell me the size of my
| return.  Using a CPA is undoubtedly the most expensive route, but you get
| what you pay for.

Greetings,
	As a CPA (not in public practice), I find that Turbo Tax does a fairly
adequate job of asking all the "right" questions.  It should work well for a
large portion of the population.  I haven't, and wouldn't, recommend buying
any more than the "basic" version, with the exception of getting a state
return out of the deal, but my state (Kansas, Jayhawks all the way in the
Final Four) has such a simple state return, it's not worth it there either.
It does fall short on a number of issues though that can get kind of hairy.
I have used it myself for the past 5 or so years without too much complaint.
This year is an exception.  I will not use it next year for all the
spyware/limitation issues (not sure what I'm going to do).  On a side note,
I dual boot my box with lilo, and I didn't have any problems with my MBR.
As for a CPA, make sure that an actual CPA looks over your return and signs
off on it.  It's real easy to hire cheap, temporary, semi-trained labor to
do the returns.  Make absolutely sure you get what you pay for.

IMHO,

Brooks

--
Brooks R. Robinson, BBA, MBA, CPA