Re: remote printer configuration - cups

ronin2@bellatlantic.net wrote:
On Sun, 30 Mar 2003 07:02:49 -0500
Tom Allison <tallison@tacocat.net> wrote:

So I tried configuring it a direct configuration:

foomatic-configure -s cups -n remoteraw -c socket://192.168.0.100:631/
foomatic-configure -s cups -D -n remoteraw

And nothing, so I removed it and tried:

foomatic-configure -s direct -n remoteraw -c
socket://192.168.0.100:631/ foomatic-configure -s direct -D -n
remoteraw

Port 631 is used for CUPS admin. Fire up your web browser and point it
at "http://localhost:631"; and you should see the CUPS admin screen. You
want to manage printers, then add a printer.

I don't have a cups server for managing the printer. I have a network printer that responds to ports 515, 631, and 9100.

I'm also at a disadvantage in that I cannot actually access this IP:631 from a graphical browser. X-over-SSH has it's limits and the actual computer network is ~3,000 miles away.

In any event, the problem that I'm trying to address is based on the assumption that I have a perfectly working Printer/Server and that my problem is limited strictly to the Client part of the configuration.

Port 9100 is the default port for JetDirect interfaces. Using the CUPS
wizard, after you give the new printer a name, location and description
you'll come to the "device" screen. Choose "AppSocket/HP JetDirect".

What EXACTLY is the Cups Wizard?

Next you're asked for "Device URI". Mine is "socket://lj4:9100", where
"lj4" is the *name* of the printer I input a few screens ago. (It
corresponds to "print queue" in the lpr scheme.)

Then pick your driver and you should be off to the races.

Is it required that the names be exact? I was given the impression that the naming, in certain stages of the configuration, was arbitrarily based on the user-friendliness of a name/location/description.

--
Not every problem someone has with his girlfriend is necessarily due to
the capitalist mode of production.