Re: Kernel compile - kernel panaic at boot

On Sat, 2003-03-29 at 19:06, Petr Simon wrote:
> Please help!
> I did it many times , but now I made some silly mistake and I can't boot
> my fresly compiled kernel. I can boot Debian default 2.4.18-k7, but I
> wanted 2.4.20 from source and it doesn't seem to work. What I did is:
> untar it
> ln -s linux-2.4.20 linux
> cd linux
> make mrproper
> make menuconfig
> make dep
  ^^^^^^^^
you dont need that.  replace it with make-kpkg clean
> make-kpkg -rev Custom.1 kernel_image
> dpkg --install kernel-image........
>
> and this is my lilo.conf:
Two things.
One, Switch to grub... youll be much happier.

Two, make sure you have your filesystem compiled into the kernel, not as
a module.  Also your ide-chipset(as per a earlier poster) and all other
relavent config options.  I would recommend starting with your .config
from the known working kernel.  It can be found in /boot just copy it
over to linux/.config and make menuconfig and go straight to your
ide-chipset and set it to compile in and then your file system and set
it to compile in.  Then you can play around with everything else.  Also
try keeping acpi and apm out untill you get a known working kernel.
Other than that maybe copy down the acctual error your getting durring
the boot process.