Re: Convincing someone to switch to Linux

On Sat, Mar 29, 2003 at 11:41:25AM +0200, Aryan Ameri wrote:
> On Saturday 29 March 2003 02:37, Roberto Sanchez wrote:
>
> > -MS Windows controlled BIOS setup (I just found out the new Toshiba laptops
> > have no more "hit <ESC> to enter setup" on boot.  It is all handled through
> > Windows utilities written by the vendor)
>
> Oh, This can be the worst news of the day for me. I always thought something
> like this will be impossible.

Actually it's a pretty old idea. I've come across plenty of Compaqs
which are useless without the setup disk, which is DOS-based. My
second-hand RM Nimbus 286 was even worse. Not only did it require a
setup disk, it had a permanently-set boot password that made it
impossible to boot without first removing the BIOS ROM, sticking it in
another machine and disassembling the code.

Having to boot something as complex as Windoze before you can set up
the BIOS is merely taking the idea to new heights of stupidity. Like
having a car that you can get into when it's moving but not when it's
stationary.

> Isn't this illegal? If toshiba is doing this, by M$'s request, then it clearly
> is violation of anti trust (or what ever law), right?

Is it by M$'s request? I think it's simply a violation of not
involving clueless jerks in the design process, which cannot be made
illegal without causing widespread unemployment.

Pigeon