Re: How should we handle people who can not unsubscribe?

On Sat, Mar 29, 2003 at 01:09:34AM -0800, Paul Johnson wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 28, 2003 at 02:55:28PM -0500, ScruLoose wrote:

> Make it less abusive to the potentially misguided but harmless user
> (assume they have a clue but cocked it up by accident).

Well, yes.  I did actually specify in the same message that the real
thing would not want to have the "snarky tone" of my posted example.
The example was hoping to provide a chuckle, particularly in light of
our recent adventures with eauclair.  It was *not* intended to be a
verbatim template.  Sorry if my disclaimer wasn't clear.

> Use procmail
> to make an autoresponder (since messages come "from" each user instead
> of the mailing list).

Are you suggesting that I go ahead and set this up at my end?
I suppose I could do that... though my intent was to try and sell the
idea to the listmasters and have it implemented on the listserver, thus
preventing all us subscribers from being bombarded with the
"unsubscribe" messages in the first place.

Heh!  Although, I suppose if the idea got popular...  Getting a couple
hundred differently worded (meticulously polite) sets of instructions
pouring in as off-list replies from various subscribers... You wouldn't
find too many people making *that* mistake twice, I guess.
Please note that this, too, is *not* a serious suggestion.  I think that
mailbombing people is a Bad Thing, and I do not condone it.  8-P

However, the idea of having a simple filter and autoresponder on the
listserver *is* a serious suggestion.  If it's easily doable and works
the way I would expect, then it could be applied to *all* of the lists,
and might reduce the listmaster's unnecessary incoming mail as well as
the background noise of unsubscribes posted to the list.
Does it strike people as a good idea?  Should we pitch it to the
listmaster(s)?