Re: Debian's release support policy

On Sat, Mar 29, 2003 at 07:57:40AM -0800, Paul Johnson wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 29, 2003 at 11:57:45AM +0000, Colin Watson wrote:
> > I don't think we'd ever inflict something as short as 2 weeks on our
> > users, large sites or no large sites.
>
> When Potato went stable, 2 weeks was all the previous distro got.

OK, I went and checked my facts. Potato was released on 14 August 2000.
On 14 September 2000, an announcement was made that support would be
discontinued on 30 September 2000 [1], together with a request for
feedback on whether enough time had been allowed for the transition. On
21 September 2000, another announcement was made to say that that date
had been extended until 30 October 2000 [2]. The flood of comments to
security@debian.org started on 14 September; I'd be amazed if slink
could have been turned off two weeks before that without triggering even
more complaints.

I don't know how Oregon's calendar works, but here in England 14 August
to 30 September is more like six weeks than two.

[1] http://lists.debian.org/debian-security-announce/debian-security-announce-2000/msg00041.html
[2] http://lists.debian.org/debian-security-announce/debian-security-announce-2000/msg00043.html

> When people complained loudly, security team said "You should have
> said something earlier."

That doesn't match what the archives say, unless I'm missing something
in my trawl of debian-security-announce and debian-private from that
period.

Plus what John Hasler said, of course. Back then it was extremely
difficult for the security team to provide updates for more than one
stable release; now it's merely difficult. ;)

Cheers,